Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: regular 8mm loading

  1. #1
    kittyunicorn
    Guest kittyunicorn's Avatar

    Post

    Anyone have advice or suggestions on how to load regular/standard 8 mm film without exposing it? I don't have a dark room and I've never done it before. Nor do I have a manual (didn't come with the camera) nor instructions (didn't come with the film). I'm a novice, help!

  2. #2
    Cranium
    Guest Cranium's Avatar

    Post

    You kinda just have to bite the bullet and lose a couple feet. The film is on "daylight" spools, meaning it can be loaded in daylight. You should find a nice low-light area to load it in, though.

    ------------------
    Mikel Z

  3. #3
    kittyunicorn
    Guest kittyunicorn's Avatar

    Post

    So, basically I just stick it in, thread some through, and hope everything ends up right? I don't know how automatic vrs. manual this process is. Unlike a regular camera, I know there is no rewind function. Seems like the film just goes from one side of the camera to the next (one internal reel to the next). Once it has gone through the camera, what do I do?
    I really don't know. Finding stuff on using regular 8mm is much harder than finding stuff on processing it or on Super 8 in general.
    If anyone has a good link for me, I guess that would help. Don't want to make everyone give me the 101 on regular 8mm.

    ------------------

  4. #4
    Cranium
    Guest Cranium's Avatar

    Post

    After you run it through the camera ONCE, pull the spools out turn them over, and switch their places. Now the "takeup" spool is back where the "feed" spool was, and it exposes the other half of the film (notice that the 8mm film is actually 16mm wide?)
    Then send it out for processing, and they'll split it down the middle, splice the two halves together, and you'll have 50ft of reg8.


    ------------------
    Mikel Z

  5. #5
    jocko
    Guest jocko's Avatar

    Post

    no she has regular 8mm..not double 8..just once thru the camera!
    check out martin Baumgartens(sp?) site

    Neil
    Jocko Films

    ------------------

  6. #6
    Regular 8 Freak
    Guest Regular 8 Freak's Avatar

    Post

    I always flip, gives me 25' more film that way.

    ------------------

  7. #7
    kittyunicorn
    Guest kittyunicorn's Avatar

    Post

    Ok, so I simply open the camera, but the spool on... and run/thread some through so the end of the film ends up on the take-up reel (???) Then once it appears to be finished, flip it over, switch the reels, and thread it through again. And all this can be done in light, but the less light the better. (Some guy told me that I should get a changing bag because actually loading in light does fade the film, even if it claims that it can be loaded in light) Is that all correct?

  8. #8
    Cranium
    Guest Cranium's Avatar

    Post

    That all sounds about right.
    What camera do you have?



    ------------------
    Mikel Z

  9. #9
    Regular 8 Freak
    Guest Regular 8 Freak's Avatar

    Post

    Changing bags work well but any really shaded area will work, the darker the better. Make sure that when you thread the film through the camera's gate that the dark SHINY side of the film faces the back of the camera. Also make sure that everything cycles properly, don't want any jams etc... You may want to run the camera for a second or two upon loading so that you can insure that the film is properly attached in the takeup reel.

    ------------------

  10. #10
    kittyunicorn
    Guest kittyunicorn's Avatar

    Post

    I'll have to get back to you on the type... all I can say is that it has 3 lenses, it's definitly 8mm (not Super 8), it needs to be cranked to run, and it's it was described as a tower camera. It looks to be pretty old (50s or early 60s). And the handle can be screwed on or off (like pretty much all cameras).
    Nothing on the outside indicates brand. There was something about Sears (I think) on the inside. I'll research it more this weekend and let you know Monday.

    ------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •